Ancient Corinth Museum
The museum is located within the archaeological site and falls under the jurisdiction of the 37th Ephoreia of the Greek Archaeological Service. It houses the catalogued finds from the American Excavations. A selection of these are on display in three display rooms and a large courtyard. The remainder comprise a study collection. The exhibition consists of two main galleries housing sculpture, ceramics, and minor objects of prehistoric through medieval date deriving from excavations in and around Corinth. The terracottas from the Asklepieion, located in a third room can be viewed by request only. Hours vary but the museum is generally open during the winter from 8:45am-5:00pm and extended hours in summer from 8:45am-7:00pm.
The museum was built in 1931/32 by the architect W. Stuart Thompson and was extended towards the east in 1950. The building of the wonderful repository was a large undertaking. It contains collections of prehistoric finds, various items ranging from the Geometric to the Hellenistic period, Roman and Byzantine finds, excavation finds from the Asklepieion of Corinth, and a collection of sculptures and inscriptions.
Some of the most important items of the exhibition are:
- Large Mycenaean krater decorated with a painted representation of warriors on a chariot. Dated to 1200 B.C.
- Corinthian amphora with a lid . It bears a representation of two heraldic cocks and a double palmette at the centre. Dated to ca. 600 B.C.
- Mosaic, pebbled floor, with a representation of griffins devouring a horse. It is one of the earliest preserved Greek mosaics, dated to ca. 400 B.C.
- Mosaic floor decorated with the head of Dionysos framed by ornaments. It comes from a Roman villa and dates to the 2nd century A.D.
- Marble statue of a youth. Roman portrait, possibly of Lucius Caesar, son of Augustus, dated to the end of the 1st century B.C. or the beginning of the 1st century A.D. It imitates a Greek original of the first half of the 4th century B.C.
- Marble sphinx from a funerary monument. It is resting on the hind legs and standing on the fore. Traces of painted decoration are preserved on the torso and the wings. Corinthian product, dated to the middle of the 6th century B.C.
- Byzantine glazed plate. It is decorated with a representation of Digenis Acritas and a princess, and dates from the 12th century A.D. It belongs to a series of imported Byzantine vases, spanning the period from the end of the 9th until the end of the 14th century A.D.
Opening Hours: 8:00 - 15:00, every day, except 6 holydays in the year.
Entrance fees: 6€
Up to 18, under 65 years old and students from Europian Union: Half ticket
Address: Ancient Corinth 20010
Ephorate: 37th Ephorate of Classical and Prehistoric Antiquities